- At Tollgate we come together to explore, question, and create in order to do better work and be better people than we ever thought possible.
EL EDUCATION DESIGN PRINCIPLES
- The Primacy of Self-Discovery: Learning happens best with emotion, challenge and the requisite support.
- The Having of Wonderful Ideas: Teaching in Expeditionary Learning schools fosters curiosity about the world.
- The Responsibility for Learning: Learning is both a personal process of discovery and a social activity.
- Empathy and Caring: Learning is fostered best in communities where students' and teachers' ideas are respected and where there is mutual trust.
- Success and Failure: All students need to be successful if they are to build the confidence and capacity to take risks and meet increasingly difficult challenges.
- Collaboration and Competition: Individual development and group development are integrated so that the value of friendship, trust, and group action is clear.
- Diversity and Inclusion: Both diversity and inclusion increase the richness of ideas, creative power, problem-solving ability, and respect for others.
- The Natural World: A direct and respectful relationship with the natural world, which refreshes the human spirit and teaches the important ideas of recurring cycles and cause and effect.
- Solitude and Reflection: Students and teachers need time alone to explore their own thoughts, make their own connections, and create their own ideas.
- Service and Compassion: Students and teachers are strengthened through acts of consequential service to others.
TOLLGATE HABITS OF A LEARNER
- I identify roadblocks to learning.
- I plan steps to work through the challenge.
- I set challenging goals for myself.
- I make choices that help me reach my goal.
- I can ask questions that help me create a deeper understanding.
- I can use different resources and tools to explore my curiosities.
- I can connect my learning to the ourside world.
- I can collaborate to achieve group goals and consider others' perspectives.
- I can contribute to CREW conversations.
- I can keep learning as my focus.
- I can ask for help and support when I need it.
- I can respect the diversity of our CREW.
- I can create high quality work.
- I can revise to improve my work based on the required criteria.
- I can honestly reflect on my progress.
- I can explain why I am proud of my work.
- I can value and be accepting of others ideas, opinions, and time.
- I can create a safe and secure learning environment that promotes risk-taking.
- I can assume positive intent when working with others.