Music is a vital part of your child’s education.
Students at Tollgate Expeditionary Learning attend music classes weekly.
Music classes at Tollgate combine music with both drama and dance to ensure a solid foundation in the arts. Drumming, singing, dancing, acting and playing pitched and non-pitched instruments occur on a daily basis. Emphasis is placed on creativity and critical thinking skills.
In each grade you will find students applying the elements of the creative process through a variety of experiences and activities by…
- Improvising and creating original movement.
- Singing and playing various musical styles with techniques and timing.
- Sharing peer feedback to improve the quality of the class or group performance.
- Performing dance sequences that emphasize the elements of dance.
- Exploring different ways to change a musical phrase for a specific intention.
- Discussing details about personal performances or the performances of others.
- Mirroring basic dance combinations by the teacher.
- Echoing rhythms clapped by the teacher.
- Giving helpful feedback to classmates about their performances.
- Playing a variety of simple songs with pitched and non-pitched instruments.
- Exploring emotions, sounds and body posture to bring a character to life.
- Participating in class discussions about a live theatre performance.
- Demonstrating simple elements of dance.
- Singing and clapping rhythms in a song.
- Talking about physical traits of storybook characters.
- Speaking, chanting, and singing expressively.
- Copying movements demonstrated by others.
- Using a variety of vocal sounds and movements to imitate a character from a story.
“Elemental music is never just music.
It is bound up with movement, dance and speech, and so it is a form
of music in which one must participate, in which one is involved not as a listener
but as a co-performer.”