School of Expeditionary Learning
What is Expeditionary Learning?
Expeditionary Learning Schools (ELS) is a national, non-profit organization that partners with schools to improve student achievement, build student character, enhance instructional practices and foster a positive school culture.
Why is Tollgate working with Expeditionary Learning Schools?
- ELS provides rigorous professional learning for teachers that results in higher achievement gains for all students through:
- A rigorous and engaging curriculum based on state and national standards
- Active, inquiry based learning strategies
- A school culture that demands and teaches compassion and good citizenship.
- Engaging topics and rich learning experiences that result in high quality products and presentations of learning.
- Tollgate Elementary School was selected to be an Expeditionary Learning School because of its mission, vision and strong commitment to high achievement for all students.
What new things can I expect for my student as a result of the work with Expeditionary Learning Schools?
- Reading, writing and math skills will be strengthened and deepened through real world learning and field experiences.
- Students will be taking a more active role in setting learning and achievement goals.
- Teachers will place a greater focus on student reflection and revision
- Students will form a deeper connection to the school community and to the world around them.
- Students will showcase their work through public presentations and performances.